I could create a two part headboard. The headboard Base would be sandwiched between the head of the bed and the metal frame that kept the mattress from sliding off the frame. This would have hinges used to attach the main portion of the headboard, which would fold over the bed when it was in it’s upright position and then flip back to lean against the wall to form the headboard when it is in use. *see design drawings below*
| || |
Line both boards up with and attach hinges evenly spaced, then remove the pins in the hinges so they boards are again separate
I used the same trick for the hinges from earlier and cut V’s and tucked those under the batting
Pull the thread through the drilled hole to the other side of the headboard and separate the two halves of the thread. Take some of the quilt batting and form it into a fluffy “meatball” and place that between the ends of thread. Now make a slip knot out of the two ends of thread and pull it on the batting until the button looks like you want. Once it is in place do several tight knots to permanently tie your slip knot in place.
For the nail head trim, I decided to cheat a little and use the string of nail heads where you only have to attach every 5th one; this is a lot faster and a lot easier to keep straight
I wanted consistency to on the base I strung my zip ties through, then followed the same process I used above; Covered it in batting, then fabric.
I positioned the base exactly where I wanted it, and then used the zip ties to secure it to the frame. Once that was attached I lined the headboard hinges up and put the pins back in. Gravity would keep the headboard in place just fine but for a little extra insurance I added Velcro strips to the top edge of the headboard and the wall.
For the "base" portion of the headboard I had drilled holes in the wood for cable ties where they would loop over the metal frame and ran the ties through the holes before i covered it with fabric.
Headboard from the front:
- Since no one sees this I didn't bother to make it pretty, it's just functional :)