One of the first... we needed more seating in the living room and I have been wanting to make over a fainting couch for a while, and lucky me, craigslist happened to be nice enough to have EXACTLY what I was dreaming of!
Or at least something I could turn INTO exactly what I was dreaming of. Enter this little beauty pictured. Or as I like to refer to her, "Sparkles and Spirals" for the beyond horrible sparkly floral fabric.
Next I got some of the Minwax pickling stain from my local home depot (AKA, the place my entire paycheck goes) as well as a small sample of an antique black in matte, along with rags and Minwax pre-stain treatment. I went over the whole piece with the pre-stain and let that sit.
In the meantime, it took some trial and error getting the right ratio of pickle to black paint to extra water to get the grain to show through and get that natural distressed look I was going for, but once I got it right, I used the rag to quickly work the pickle into the wood and then, with a clean rag, immediately wiping it back off. Then I went over it with ultra-fine steel wool to distress, then the pickle process again.
Once that was all done I went over the piece in a brown tinted glaze to bring some warmth back. Once it looked how I wanted I sprayed the whole thing down with Minwax matte polyurethane spray paint to maintain that natural look while providing protection.